7 Things you need to do before going to university (which you may have forgotten about...)



Are you heading off to university/college soon?? Aside from the usual things (packing, saying goodbye to family), there are a few things that I forgot to do before starting my first year at Leeds. So, to try and help some of you, I thought I’d make a list of the things you need to do before uni that you may have forgotten about! Here are my top 7 things to do before you head to university that you may have forgotten about…

1.       Sort out your finances (including a student account and budget)


I know it’s boring, and can be intimidating, but sorting out your finances before you get to uni saves SO much hassle and stress. I didn’t really get on top of budgeting and my loans in my first year, I was never really sure when I was getting my student loan or how much I was getting. My advice (which thankfully, I followed this time around), is to set aside a few hours to really get your head around your student finances a week or two before you leave. Everyone’s situation is different but if you’re getting a student loan, find out exactly how much you’re getting, when each instalment is and how much each specific instalment is. All this information is really easily accessible on the Student Finance website!

The next thing (if possible), is to work out exactly how much your accommodation is and when you’re expected to pay. Normally, especially when you are in halls, your payment is due around the same time that your loan comes through. You should know how much each payment is and whether your student loan is going to cover it. If it doesn’t it’s soooo much better if you know how much you will need to make up. I was going around thinking I had LOADS of savings, only to realise that I needed a lot of it to just make up my accommodation cost in my first year.

The other thing which you should sort before heading off to university is your student bank account. Many banks in the UK offer student bank accounts which often come with large overdrafts without any fees, and other little bonuses to entice you. You can only choose one, as your student loan need to be paid into it, so do a bit of research about which is best. I didn’t plan on going into my overdraft very much, and many of the banks had very similar conditions on their student bank accounts. One bank was offering a £50 Amazon voucher, while Santander was offering a 3 year 16-25 railcard. Although £50 would’ve been nice at the time, it was an easy decision to go with Santander as that railcard (for someone who uses trains A LOT), has saved me an unbelievable amount of money. Do your research, decide which is best for you and apply for your student bank account.

The final financial step before you head to uni is your day to day budget. Everyone is different with how much they have to spend, where it comes from and how it is split. But you will need to know how much you get for your day to day living, and how long it needs to last. While blowing it all on freshers’ week would be fun, not having money to live off for the next few months, would not be. Set a budget (which factors in alcohol and going out), but also your weekly food shop and transport.


2.       Have a look at freshers’ events, but don’t get too sucked in


It is so tempting to buy every wrist band under the sun, ticket to every event at your union and plan nights out for weeks in advance before you get to uni, but don’t! Yes, things sell out, but buying tickets without a real idea who you’re going to meet or how you’re going to feel is a waste of money. And I promise you, those wristbands that are advertised relentlessly are ALWAYS a con. In Leeds they get you into maybe one good event, and then a load of garbage that you would never pay that much money to go to. It’s a bit like going somewhere like Magaluf, you can spend 100s on wristbands before you get there, but the best nights out are the impromptu, unplanned ones.

3.       Book a ticket home/ weekend with your family or friends


In my first semester, I made no plans to go home or see my family until Christmas. I’d done a ski season and thought university would be a walk in the park. But it doesn’t matter how social and confident you are, a trip home to see family or friends is always welcome. I went through a real dip in about November, which is common for first years, and needed a trip home. If I were to do it again, it would’ve been nice to have a weekend to look forward to. Plus, it saves LOADS of money to book trains in advance so better for your wallet to plan ahead.


4.       Have a mini splurge


Okay, I know this goes against all my budgeting advice as any money you can save now, you will obviously have at university. However, I was talking to my boyfriend and his sister, and I really liked the idea. She said that before she went to university, she had a mini ‘splurge’, a little ‘treat yo self’ day. The idea is that before university, most people are financially stable if they’ve had a part time job, so it’s a nice time to spend a little bit more on something you have wanted for a while. A nice pair of shoes, some new speakers, maybe even a new phone? That £100 that you splurge now would probably have otherwise been spent on alcohol and nights out over the next few weeks. Before you embark on the stingy life of a student, treat yo self!

5.       Print off some pictures


A simple way of saying collect some personal items for your room. Yes, you’ll need to pack clothes, shoes, pots and pans, but it makes living away from home a whole lot easier if your space feels like your space, rather than a strange empty room. It felt basic, but once I put up my pictures, fairy lights and bought some cute cushions, my room felt so much nicer and it helped my general mood.  


6.       Double check any University Admin


This one is hard to be specific about, everyone’s university and course is different. But before you go, take some time to have a detailed look through every single email they’ve sent you, making sure there’s nothing you’ve missed out. Look for things like enrolling on modules, any pre-term work you may have to start, make sure you’ve booked your slot for parking on the day you move in. The month before I started, there was an onslaught of emails that were so hard t keep track of, it’s useful to have a sit down and a proper dedicated look through all the information. I discovered a week before I started that I was supposed to have done some online learning for my course. I didn’t realise this, so spent my first week trudging through online learning videos, fun.



7.       Think about what you’re going to take


This one is also based on a mistake I made. When I packed for university, I was lucky enough that my parents drove me up so I could pack a lot. The car was absolutely crammed. What I didn’t think about was getting back again at Christmas. The mistake I made was packing absolutely everything I could think of, all my clothes, completely gutting my room. But that meant when I came to packing my stuff for Christmas, I could hardly bring 1/5 of my clothes home. Yes, a bit of a silly point but when you’re packing, try to avoid packing every single one of your hoodies, every pair of jeans and every single pair of shoes. You really won’t need them all and it makes moving to and from uni throughout the year, super difficult.

Okay, so that's just about everything I could think of! There's so much to do and think about before going to university/moving away from home, it's really easy to forgot smaller jobs or get overwhelmed by the general admin and mass of information. Did I forget something (again!), let me know what jobs you forgot to do before moving out and heading to university! And if you're off in a few weeks, good luck!!!

Thanks for reading,

Laura x

Keep reading...




Comments